Thursday, June 13, 2013

Lobby group

Anyone who knows us or has read this blog knows that we had a very tough year last year with our little autistic boy and the mainstream school system. By the end of last year we had had such trauma at the hands of the school principal and her education department minions that Q had developed a breathing tick related to stress that is now, six months finally, for the first time in his schooling life Quinn is safe and happy and the tick is resolved. Last night at Quinn's OT appointment I queried his height. Stunted growth apparently, is a result of severe stress; severe stress has of course played a big part in Q's life. 

I'm looking forward. I'm being brave. I have to because he is so very brave. But my guts are wretched, and my heart hurts. How can adults we trusted damage our child so much and be completely without responsibility without blame? If they remain so, then they will do more damage to other children. I will do my best from this year forward to push for legislation to change that. I believe that teachers, including kindergarten teachers need to have a mandatory reporting system for children with autism. I believe they need to then have the accurate training, which will be enforced as a part of the curriculum in education. I believe that even over-reporting of 30 per cent would be a worthwhile figure as early intervention is the only means of treatment for children with autism, and other conditions relative to autism benefit from the same treatments. 

I am starting a lobby group and I will be working towards pushing for this mandate basing it on Sections 182(1) a-e, 184 and 162 c-d of theChildren, Youth and Families Act 2005 (Vic.)

I'm recruiting, anyone interested?

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi there! I have a quick question about your blog! My name is Heather and my email address is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)